Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What a Week


So Jake left this past Sunday. After being in denial for so long, his actual leaving hit me pretty hard. It was even worse when we both discovered he had left his cell phone in the car. As soon as he had an address, I overnighted it and it should be there tomorrow. I miss him a lot. I think sometimes that God just really enjoys irony. Today, the army reserves called wanting to recruit Jake. They would have guaranteed him stabilization for 2 years. Go figure. Where were they a month ago? He may actually join before he leaves for Iraq and then he won't be able to be called back again when he gets back this time.
The girls are doing well. Lacey calls for daddy in the morning and is quite upset when I'm the one to get her out of her crib. (He usually did) When Nate and Mel came over for dinner tonight, she was a bit attached to Nate. She totally gravitated to the only adult male in the house. She also put Griffin into a headlock multiple times but that's a whole other story. The other day at school while we were waiting to get Hails, Lacey kept running over and grabbing the back of my legs. The lady next to me and I were both wearing jeans and black shoes. Lacey ended up grabbing the other ladies legs from behind and would NOT let go. She wouldn't look up to see that it wasn't actually my body she was clinging to. After she finally looked up, she held onto the other ladies legs for a minute, looking very confused and slowly backed away. It was entertaining.
Hails tends to sleep walk. Last night she came out of her room, came over to the computer and just stood by me. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she needed to go get her spiderwebs. She walked into the bathroom, grabbed one of her bath toys, put it on the desk and went to bed. You have to be careful and watch Hails. I've caught her trying to pee on the couch more than once. She's so out of it, she doesn't realize she's not in the bathroom. It makes life exciting...or something.
My stupid land lord left our gate open last night so when we went to let our STUPID dog out this morning, the STUPID dog ran away. Some poor girl brought her home, dragging her by the collar. She smelled like crap. Actual crap. I don't know what she did, but her smell made me want to hurl. I had to give her a bath which made me smell like wet dog. It wasn't my best day UNTIL I realized the new Target was already open. It's less than 5 minutes away. It makes me happy. It scares Jake.
We're just trying to keep busy and get a routine going to keep our minds off of being sad. I think when he actually has to leave for Iraq, that will be harder. I miss him now, but at least I know he's safe.

1 comment:

L. S. Smathers Family said...

I can relate to the initial 'deployment depression'....its so hard to get past. I don't usually start to perk up until we've passed the halfway mark. I'll be thinking of you. Holler my way if you need some support.